Castle Dagestein is among the oldest buildings of the Town of Vilseck. It was constructed in the 12th century B.C. as a stone fortress which impressively mirrored the power and might of the clerical lord residing at the castle. The indisputable highlight of the site is the Romanesque castle keep. Its two lower levels date back to the turn of the 13th century, while the walls of the upper floors are adorned with nicely preserved mural paintings from the 14th century. The lookout on top of the castle keep offers a spectacular view of the town centre and the surrounding countryside.
Most of the preserved buildings belonging the castle grounds were however constructed in later times. The imposing “Tithe Box”, for instance, was erected around 1700. This newly renovated building, in former times used to store the tithe people had to give to the church, is now used for many different occasions and events. The remains of the medieval circumvallation document the good, strong fortification of Castle Dagestein.